What We’re Learning: Wrestling with God’s Word
Series Tagline: T.R.A.I.N* to wrestle with God’s Word like a pro.
Series Main Scripture: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
Series Overview: What should do we do when we read Bible verses we don’t like? T.R.A.I.N* to wrestle with God’s Word like a pro. How do pro athletes get better at their sport? Practice! Every week we are going to practice together by studying a different Scripture we may not like and learn how we should respond. We will T.R.A.I.N* ourselves to remember when wrestling with God’s Word, we can trust God’s wisdom and character.
*TRUST God’s Wisdom
REMEMBER God’s Character
ASK yourself, “What is challenging to me about this verse?”
INVESTIGATE the Scripture
How do I lead my student through this lesson at home?
MSM goes live 6:45pm on our HopeMSM YouTube Account. This will be followed by Zoom Small Groups, click here to get pre-registered for a Small Group. If your student is unable to attend a small group then grab a Bible, watch the video together while it’s live or after, and go through the below modified at-home discussion guide anytime you like
Special Needs Families:
Click here for this week’s modified guide
October 18 – Jesus Judges and Saves
- Main Point: We must believe in Jesus to have our sins forgiven.
- Main Scriptures: John 3:16-20
Create meaningful conversation with your student(s). Adjust questions as needed, and don’t feel like you need to answer all of them.
- GET THEM TALKING: What are some reasons as to why people don’t like being judged?
- Look over this T.R.A.I.N. like a pro card. Read each point together, and as you do stop and discuss:
- In your own words, what does this point mean?
- What questions do you have about this point?
- READ John 3:16-20 and answer the following questions:
- What do these verses say about God’s love?
- Why is it so important for us to believe in Jesus?
- What do these verses say about God’s judgment?
- What do you think about this statement: the truth is if we don’t understand God’s judgment, we don’t understand His grace either.
- How can we trust God’s wisdom and remember God’s character when we read Bible verses that describe a part of God we don’t understand or prefer, such as His judgment?
- Do you think it is loving to share the truth in these verses with others? Why or why not?
THIS WEEK’S CHALLENGE: Say a prayer to God, telling Him that you love Him and you trust Him. If you don’t feel ready to say those things, what is holding you back? Talk to God about it this week.
THIS SERIES CHALLENGE: Memorize 2 Timothy 3:16-17. We encourage you to do it together as a group!
Ask your student(s) to share their prayer requests and close your time together in prayer.