HIM + HER
We are sure you’ve noticed the teenage years are full of transition and transformation! In Student Ministry, we recognize that this is a pivotal point in your student’s journey, and it’s our desire to keep partnering with you to help you navigate theis phase of your student’s life as smoothly as possible.
During the teenage phase, what’s repeated is what’s remembered. This is why Student Ministry provides an annual series on temptation with emphasis on dating, sexuality and relationships. The goal of this series is to empower students to navigate relationships, attraction and sex with a foundation in God’s Word.
We are equipping you earlier with the whole series and even some extra resources so you can see what we are teaching and even (if you choose) go over this information at home with your student. We hope these equip you for healthy, ongoing conversations within your home.
Also, if you haven’t yet join your campus’ HSM Facebook Parent Group to stay in the loop on upcoming HSM news as well as connect in community with other high school parents at our church. Parenting can be hard, you don’t have to do it alone!
Series Topic: Moral Boundaries
- Download Full HSM Parent Packet
- Series Overview: Him + Her
- 7 Tips for Talking About Sexuality With Your Children
- We create Safe place for your student: Student Ministry Safety & Dialogue
Week 1: Week of MARCH 7, 2021*
- MAIN POINTS:
- 1. Know what you’re pursuing and
- 2. Don’t make excuses or settle for less.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: Proverbs 31:10-31
- JESUS CONNECTION: God wrote the greatest love story ever told because of how much He loves you!
- 1. HSM Study Guide_Wk1 Him+Her
- 2. HSM Teaching Guide_Wk1 Him+Her
- 3. HSM Discussion Guide_Wk1 Him+Her
- Wk1 Him+Her ALL
*HSM Campus Pastors have the option to choose between their groups going through this week’s curriculum OR having a Party Break week to hang out, have fun, and emphasize student inviting friends. Talk to your HSM Campus Pastor or student’s small group leader to learn which choice your student’s small group is taking.
Week 2: Week of March 14
- MAIN POINTS:
- Guys and girls may be different, but we can still seek to understand and respect one another.
- Respect God with your body.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: 1 Peter 2:15-17 & 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
- JESUS CONNECTION: We all were born slaves to sin but God sent Jesus to die on the cross to rescue us from our sins and death.
- 1. HSM Study Guide_Wk2 Him+Her
- 2. HSM Teaching Guide_Wk2 Him+Her
- 3. HSM Discussion Guide_Wk2 Him+Her
- Wk2 Him+Her ALL
Week 3: Week of March 21 WHAT ABOUT SAME-SEX SEXUALITY?
- MAIN POINT: As Christians we are called to balance living in God’s grace and truth.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: Zacchaeus story overview, Romans 2:4, Matthew 19:4-5, Romans 1:26-30
- JESUS CONNECTION: We have all sinned and all need forgiveness that only Jesus can give to us.
- TEACHING POINTS (GRACE):
- Zacchaeus example: Zacchaeus was a tax-collector in an anti-tax collector culture. Zacchaeus encountered God’s kindness in Jesus before he began following Jesus.
- What is Sin? Attractions and temptations are not sin, but acting on lust or engaging in sexual behavior outside of God’s design of marriage is sin.
- TEACHING POINTS (TRUTH):
- Jesus and the Bible define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.
- The Bible defines same-sex relationships as sin.
- God loves all people but hates all sin. That’s why we all need Jesus. We have all sinned and all need forgiveness that only Jesus can give to us.
- 1. HSM Study Guide_Wk3 Him+Her
- 2. HSM Teaching Guide_Wk3 Him+Her
- 3. HSM Discussion Guide_Wk3 Him+Her
- Wk 3 Him+Her ALL
Week 4: Week of March 28
- MAIN POINTS:
- Be willing to slow down and look for God’s leading.
- Honor God with your dating life.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: Song of Solomon 2:7 & Hebrews 12:1-2
- JESUS CONNECTION: It was Jesus’ joy to suffer on the cross – because He loves you and wants a relationship with you.
- 1. HSM Study Guide_Wk4 Him+Her
- 2. HSM Teaching Guide_Wk4 Him+Her
- 3. HSM Discussion Guide_Wk4 Him+Her
- Wk 4 Him+Her ALL
Even more parent resources:
- The Novus Project has alot of great information and age by age guides on how to talk to your children about sex
- Pastor and author Sam Allberry was interviewed by Mike at Hope a few years ago (you can watch the message here) and we highly recommend his book: Is God Anti-Gay?
- Hope Student Ministry’s Safe Zone procedure (If and when a student states there may be potentional harm, this is how we train and equip staff and volunteers to respond.)
- When and How to Talk to My Child About Pornography