What We’re Learning: Summer at the Movies
Each week we will look at different movie clips and how they show us little glimpses of what God is like.
How do I lead my student through this lesson at home?
MSM goes live Sundays at 11:15am on our HopeMSM YouTube Account. Grab a Bible, watch the video together while it’s live or after, and go through the below modified at-home discussion guide anytime you like.
Wk 1: Who is God? THE BIG REVEAL
Main Verse: Exodus 34:6-7
- God is our Father and our Lord.
- Just because you can’t see God, doesn’t mean you can’t know God.
Movie Clip: “Luke, I am your father” – Star Wars Episode 5
Gospel Connection: Jesus is the perfect example of what God looks like in human form – Colossians 1:15
- ICEBREAKER: What is one of your favorite surprise reveals, or movie plot twists and what movie is it from? (Don’t overthink it, share the first thing that pops in your head.)
- READ Exodus 34:6-7. Though we can’t see God the Father, what can we see about Him from this Scripture?
- What questions do you have about this passage? (The most common question will probably be about God punishing sin. The reality is we are all born into a world broken by sin, but God sent Jesus to die to pay the penalty for our sins. That is why believing in Jesus is so important we want to share about Him with everyone! So even in God’s justice, He is loving and provides a way for us to receive His mercy.)
- NEXT STEP: What is one thing you can do this week to thank God for being loving, compassionate, and giving? (Some ideas: Spend some time with Him in prayer, singing worship music, reading His word OR share His love with others by doing something compassionate for someone else).